Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Few More Firsts

  • Washing my laundry by hand.  It’s still up in the air how clean my clothes actually are….
  • Riding 3 deep on a motorbike.  Joseph brought us home one day on his bike & all three of us rode on.  With the bumpy ass dirt roads & thought for sure I’d get dumped off at some point, but all is well.  We got a lot of laughs from people though. 
  • Moving Kenya style – In case you’re not sure what that means, see below.  Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of this bc my camera was packed somewhere 15 feet        deep in this shenanigans.  But it was pretty priceless.  To their credit, everything made it in one piece, and one trip.

o   Step 1: Get a truck & stick up a few pieces of wood as walls in the back
o   Step 2: Load it up to the top of the wooden walls
o   Step 3: Stack another 5-6 feet worth of your belongings on top of the wooden walls
o   Step 4: Strap things down with a little bit of rope
o   Step 5: Pray that your things make it there
  • Drinking 3% milk.  One of the things I miss most in my diet is milk.  I drink a ton at home & not only is it whole milk nearly everywhere here…it also freaks me out a little.  We were at the market the other day and I saw 3% (which is the lowest I’ve seen since I’ve been in Kenya) so I went for it.  I’m not sure I could just drink it straight, but it gave me a fix at least on cereal.
  • I witnessed proof that TOMS really does give away a pair of shoes for every pair purchased.  Naivasha was recipient of several hundred pairs and we were able to hand them out to the kids at school.  We helped them to take off their current falling apart & ill-fitting shoes and replaced them with new TOMS.  They were all beaming.  It was pretty cool to see.  The two boys on the outside here have their new TOMS on, but you can see on the girl in the middle how rough some of their shoes are to begin with.  Regardless, very cool to see them with their new kicks.  I will be buying TOMS shoes in the future.

  • A couple of my roommates and I went for a run the other day (which I can safely do in the area I’m living in now).  A couple of kids started running with us, then a few more, and we had a whole brood of around 10 before we knew it.  It was so cute!  They probably ran two miles with us & took us all the way back to our home.  We got some interesting looks from the people we passed, but it made the run go by a lot easier….thank God because I have done nothing in my 3 weeks here so I definitely felt it!

1 comment:

  1. Is there a way to send you stuff? We are so fortunate and get so many handme downs. Right ages. Let me know. Love ya Bets

    ReplyDelete