Sunday, June 9, 2013

Highlights of the week

  • As I'm sitting here typing this out at the dining room table, Gad came over with his computer to sit and work with me.  He's so ridiculously cute I had to take a pic.

  • I miss the crew at St. Frank, but have been talking with Joseph at the school and things are coming along well.  They have a couple of new volunteers that have been there for a week now.  They have two days left of the food that we purchased, so it’s not lasting as long as we had hoped….but we could tell at the first few lunches that they had probably underestimated how much they needed.  Thankfully, many of you have made generous donations at our fund me page, so we already have enough to purchase another round of food for them.  Thank you!!
  • I taught the kids at my host family to play Crazy Eights and they love it.  Gad is only 2 so he’s not quite old enough, but Chico and Israel love it.  So, we’ve been playing when we get home from work for a while at night.  Chico is kicking everyone's fannies so far.  I keep forgetting to take pics of them, but soon! 
  • Loving my new placement at KCC!  We’ve been doing lots and lots of cooking for the kids.  We work with Beatrice to prep and cook lunch every day making enough for the little kids that attend classes at the school, and also enough for the kids that are sponsored in primary school to have when they get back at the end of the day…..it’s not until 4 or 5 pm but better a late lunch than no lunch at all.  It’s definitely not like cooking at home, but it’s been fun.  We use the same staples as we did at St. Frank (Rice, Beans, Flour for Ugali and Ugi - sp?) and then pick vegetables from the garden there to make it a meal.  We spend a lot of time picking through beans & things which we never think of at home.  Also, the meals are cooked over open fire in a huge pot, so I’m going to be one smoky smelling lady until I leave.  But the meals are tasty, healthy, & the kids all leave happy with full bellies.

A few of the boys playing at break.


Before they take their vitamins in the morning, Teacher Eva sings some crazy songs with them.  It's rediculously cute.


All twisted up during one of their songs.


Cooking Ugi.

  • I’ve been getting my hands dirty pretty much every day gardening at the school as well, and I love it!  Since I’ll be moving I wasn’t able to plant my own garden this year, so this is at least getting my fix for me.  We’ve been weeding, prepping the soil, planting various veg, watering, etc etc.  I’m filthy when I get home, but it’s a lot of fun. They all are shocked that I know what I’m doing since I’m an American….it’s actually hilarious.  One of the workers asked if I’d been to Kenya before.  I said no and he asked where I learned to use gardening tools then since I’m from the states.  I love all the American stereotypes.  
  • We visited the future site of the KCC boarding school which is another addition to the KCC project than the other items I’ve already mentioned.  Marcus and Katherine have such a vision for where they want the project to go, and this gave us further insight into what that vision is.  They have purchased land outside of Naivasha and have the outer structure of the building in place for a boarding house.  In five years they hope to have a primary and secondary school built as well to help support the two slums there.  Their dedication and drive to their goal is really impressive.  The impatient American in me probably doesn’t have what it takes to do what they’re doing because it’s definitely not a quick process.  They are constantly working to fund raise and when they’ve got enough to take another step toward their goal, they take it. And KCC continues to get bigger and better, one step at a time.
  • We visited “Heaven”.  One of the first days we were here we were walking into town to get some snacks after work and walked down this road that said it had a panoramic view.  It was a beautiful resort overlooking Lake Naivasha with a pool and full menu of sandwiches, pizza and other wonderful things.  So we dubbed it Heaven and said we’d be back for a beer soon.  On Wednesday we had a busy day, & stopped for a couple of beers after work at a little pub in town & then headed toward Heaven.  We were disappointed to find that Heaven is a Christian resort and doesn’t serve beer (so I’m not sure it can truly be called Heaven any more) but it had pretty tasty American-esque food and a beautiful sunset.  So, still a good ending to our day.

The view from Heaven.  Lake Naivasha is in the background.


Darrius, Sandy & I toasting to our N/A waters as the sun set over heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment