Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kimbos!!!

I spent the weekend with Mama Kimbo at her house in Nairobi.  For those of you who don’t know, a good friend of mine, Jimmy Kimbo, is originally from Kenya and his family still lives here.  So while I was on the continent, I thought I’d swing by for a visit.  It turned out to be a really wonderful weekend.  Mama Kimbo spoiled me rotten!  She still lives in the house where she raised her family, and it’s a big beautiful home with a great patio and yard.  I had my own bedroom….and bathroom!!!  Soooo nice.  We spent the weekend chatting, watching crazy Spanish soaps, putzing around Nairobi, and eating and drinking way too much.  I have a bit of a hard time saying no to food and drink anyway (no comments please) but every time I would blink I’d have more wine in my glass or more food on my plate.  Ridiculous.  But I’m coming home fat and happy. 

Saturday we started out the day at the National Museum.  It gave me a solid understanding of the history of the country…which is a bit of a rollercoaster but very interesting.  There is a live snake park, preserved birds and animals from the country, Kenyan art, and many other things.  Afterward, we went into City Center to do a little shopping at some shops and the Massai Market.  I bought a few things on the cheap using my masterful negotiating skills ;).  We had lunch, stopped at an upscale mall with beautiful things (which I could afford none of), sat outside for a beer, ran a couple errands, and then came home for delish whole fish dinner out on the patio….and of course some more vino and Spanish soaps.  Very fun day with a really great lady.

Sunday we went to Phyllis’ church.  I’ve officially gone to church more here than I have probably all year at home (oops).  This was a catholic church, so it was essentially exactly the same as every other mass I’ve been to in the states….but with better singing.  We came home and I finished book #4 out on the patio before the rest of the crew arrived. And that is not a joke, I’ve read 4 books in 4 weeks!  It’s crazy what you can do when you slow down a little.  Jimmy’s sister Liza came over with Steve, a colleague/friend of the family, and Jimmy’s other sister Carol came with her husband and two kids.  They put out a huge spread for lunch which was prepared by Chef Gideon at the house throughout the morning.  It was the best meal I’ve had since I’ve been here I think.  Again, (shocking, I know) I’ll be stuffed for days.  Phyllis invited me to come back for my last night in Kenya, so of course I said yes.  I headed out to take the Matatu back to Nairobi, but I’ll be back on Tuesday.


The Kimbo ladies.  Phyllis, Chi Chi (sp?), Liza, and Carol - From left to right.



Thanks to Mama Kimbo for a really wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad u had a great time. Your blog is awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meagan, it was wonderful to host you, and thank you for the lovely blog post. You know you are welcome back anytime!

    ReplyDelete